Midland Texas History
The Midland, Texas Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes Midland County, is one of the largest and most populous metropolitan areas in the United States. The metropolitan area also includes the University of Texas at San Antonio and Texas A & M University, both of which had an estimated population of 295,987 as of July 1, 2012. In 2012, the Midlands had a population of 111,147, making it the second largest city in Texas after Dallas and the third largest in America after Houston and San Diego. It is the fourth largest city on the US West Coast with a population of 1.5 million.
Midland is home to the University of Texas at San Antonio, Texas A & M University and Texas State University. Midland and Odessa have the second-highest poverty rates in Texas, behind the national average of 28.9 percent. All three schools in the area, Midlands Independent School District, Lee High School, West Texas Community College District and East Texas College of Science and Technology, are all part of the Midlanders Independent School District.
The skeleton of a Clovis woman found in the city in 1953 is on display at the Midland County Historical Museum. The prettiest girl anyone has ever seen in the Midlands was born in 1898, when it was still a barren cow town. Joe T. and Lou Ella Ragsdale lived in a house on the east side of the city, north of Interstate 35 and west of Interstate 35. I-35. It is also home to the University of Texas at San Antonio, Texas A & M University and Texas State University and houses several museums, including the Museum of Natural History.
The Texas Pacific Railway, built in the area in 1881, brought other sheep to what is now Midland County. Many of the early settlers were cattle breeders, so it was no surprise that the Midlands became the shipping hub for cattle to be shipped to the middle in 1906. In 1890 it became one of the most populous cities of Texas with a population of more than 1,000 people.
Today Midland International Airport serves a vast area of West Texas, including much of the Trans-Pecos region. The major cities of Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth are all 300 miles away.
A number of early transport routes crossed the region as settlers invaded what is now Midland County. The Missouri - Pacific Railroad crossed the northwest corner of the county in the early 20th century, connecting Midland with the nearby city of San Antonio, about 30 miles west.
Midland was originally called Midland when it was discovered that there was already a Midway in Texas and nothing else could inspire a name. Although there were other cities in Texas with the name "Midway," the city changed its name to Midlands in January 1884, when it was granted the first post office. Midways earned its name, but has since been renamed again - because of its proximity to San Antonio and the nearby city of San Marcos. Although no other city with a "Midway" existed in California or Texas, the cities changed their name to Midlands when they were granted their first post office. But since its location near the Missouri - Pacific Railroad, Mideways has earned its name and is now the second largest city in the county.
The development of the city proceeded quickly with the establishment of Midland County, and in March 1885 the county town was founded. The town of Midland, originally called Midway, as proposed, became county seat in April 1884 and the first post office in May of the same year. In March 1885 Midlands, Texas, a city with a population of about 1,000, became the seat of the district.
The district was named after Midland, Texas, the county seat of the state of Texas and the third largest city in the state. The county is named after the town of Midway, which is located in what is now the Rio Grande Valley, about 30 miles east of El Paso. Originally it was called "Midway" because it was an old railway station, the first post office in the United States, and also because of its proximity to the river.
According to the US Census Bureau, there is a Midland, Texas Metropolitan Statistical Area that includes Midlands County, whose population grew by 4.6 percent to 151,662. The metropolitan area is also the third largest city in the state of Texas, after El Paso and Corpus Christi, which both had an estimated population of 274,002 as of July 1, 2010. The people of the Middle East are called Midlanders because of their strong ties to Texas and the Rio Grande Valley.
Midland County is located in the central part of the state of Texas, surrounded to the east by the Rio Grande Valley, the Texas Panhandle and the Gulf of Mexico. It borders Glasscock County, Martin and Andrews counties and is the only county in Texas with a population of more than 100,000 people.